Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tribe Memory Lane: Angels @ Indians 1995

Many people think that as a Cleveland sports fan all I have is memories of disappointment and disaster. While I do have plenty of terrible sports memories I also have some really amazing ones. At some point I am going to write a blog on my top five CLE sports memories. Today though, I share with you my #1 favorite memory as a CLE sports fan.

It’s somewhat of an arbitrary memory. It wasn't from the World Series, NBA Finals, or any playoff game for that matter. This memory was born in the summer of 1995. One of the best baseball summers in the history of this city and by far the best baseball summer in my lifetime. The Indians were back. For decades they lost game after game. Their last trip to the MLB playoffs was 1954 when they were swept out of the World Series by the New York Giants. They were supposed to be back in the 80s. They even made the cover of Sports Illustrated, but they never lived up to any expectations until that oooooh so sweet summer of 1995. The Tribe drew almost 3 million fans to Jacob's Field that year as they steam rolled the AL, and finished with a record of 100 wins and 44 losses. The Indians won their first Central Division Championship by THIRTY games. 3 - 0. Yes 30. Not three games. Not thirteen games. THIRTY freaking games. (Fun Fact #1 of this Blog: Tribe hit 207 Home Runs in 1995. This demolished all other MLB teams except Colorado who hit 200 Home Runs in 95 before MLB figured out that their park was basically unfair.)

The 1995 Cleveland Indians team will go down as one of the best offensive clubs in the history of the franchise. Take a look at a typical lineup card from any given game in that magical season.

Kenny Lofton - CF
Omar Vizquel - SS
Carlos Baerga - 2B
Albert Belle - LF
Eddie Murray - DH
Jim Thome - 3B
Manny Ramirez - RF
Paul Sorrento - 1B
Sandy Alomar - C

That lineup is just ridiculous. It’s seriously an All-Star team and if you think that is crazy look at the names on the bench! Jeromy Burnitz, Brian Giles, Tony Pena and Dave Winfield (3,000 hit club and Hall of Famer)!

Think about that lineup. Lofton has four gold gloves. Murray is in the 3,000 hit club. Thome is going to be in the 600 HR club. Manny is well Manny, but if not for steroids a lock for Cooperstown. Belle was the first player to hit 50 doubles AND 50 Home Runs in the same season and had NINE consecutive seasons of 100 + RBIs. Omar is one of the best fielding SS of all time and has 11 gold gloves. Sandy is an All-Star game MVP. Carlos is one of two players to hit a home run in the same inning from both sides of the plate and was a three time All-Star. (Fun Fact #2: Baerga, Sandy Alomar, and Chris James were acquired in the same trade from San Diego for Joe Carter in 1989.) Sorrento is the least known name on that lineup card but he even had 20-25 HR power and hit the first grand slam in Jacob's Field history.

The only thing the Tribe didn't have in 1995 was a shutdown pitching staff, but they still had some very solid names. Rotational arms like the Bulldog Orel Hershiser, Charlie Nagy, and Dennis Martinez coupled with strong bullpen arms like Paul Assenmacher, Eric Plunk, Paul Shuey, and Jose Mesa made up a very respectable staff. (Fun Fact #3: John Ferrell and Bud Black were also on the 95 team. Both are current MLB Managers)

But, I digress. The 1995 Cleveland Indians won 25 games in their final at bat, and this one in particular is my #1 CLE sports memory of all time. The date was July 18th. I was fourteen years old. The Indians were playing the California Angels who were leading the AL West. On the mound for the Angels was the all-time career saves leader in Lee Smith. The Tribe entered the 9th inning trailing 5-3. I was at the game with my parents, who had season tickets. We were standing on the home run porch as we did during most games in the 9th. My dad always liked to get a jump on traffic, and bolt if things didn't look good, or as soon as the game was over. He would have to wait on this night.

Wayne Kirby led off the 9th inning as a pinch hitter and reached base on an infield single past JT Snow. Jim Thome was up next, but struck out. During the Thome at bat Kirby stole second. With one out Omar Vizquel hit a line drive that tipped off of the glove of a leaping shortstop. This put runners on the corners with one down. Baerga walked to load the bases for Albert Belle. We all know what happened next. Belle drove a two strike pitch to dead center field. It was a walk-off, grand slam home run, off of the all-time saves leader in Lee Smith. Euphoria rained down on Jacob's Field. Forty-two thousand, playoff starved, fans went absolutely bonkers. Belle was beat down, gang style, at home plate by his teammates. The magic at Jacob's Field that we all talk about to this day was born.

I can remember watching Belle put that ball into orbit like it was yesterday.  I was standing right next to the left field foul pole.  I had the perfect angle to watch such a feat.  As Albert’s bat struck the Lee Smith offering I defiantly put my hands into the air.  I knew it was gone.  It was a rocket of a home run.  It zipped past the center field camera man as the fans in the bleachers and right field went nuts.  I immediately turned around and started to hug anyone in site.  I watched as others around me did the same.  I then noticed fans curiously bolting out of the stadium.  I didn’t know what was going on, but I had to join them.  I ran past my parents and high-fived them as I followed the jubilant mass into the warm Cleveland night. We ran straight to the grassy knoll between the Gund Arena and Jacob's Field.  In that grassy field hundreds of fans jumped into a huge pile of happiness. We pretended that we just hit that walk-off home run and we recreated the mob scene at home plate. I was buried under a mass of complete strangers and wouldn't have traded places with anyone in the world.

The feeling was fantastic. I wanted more. I still want more to this day. It’s the feeling that drives me as a fan. It’s almost like a really, really good drug. Once you have a taste you will do anything to get more. (Fill it up again! Once it hits your lips, it’s so good!) You will sit through misery and disappointment and always hold out hope that you find that fleeting emotion one more time. I really think it’s this moment that hooked me as a sports fan forever. I had always liked sports as a kid and loved my Cleveland teams, but this moment took my relationship with Cleveland sports to the next level. I was all-in. No matter what Cleveland sports did to me as a fan I would always take them back with open arms.

It’s been sixteen years since that moment, almost to the day. As I watch this 2011 Cleveland Indians team I know they aren't as good as the 1995 team, or any of the great teams of the 90s. That doesn't matter though. They just need to be good enough to force me to cancel my Saturday afternoon trips to Home Depot or Bed Bath and Beyond because I was out too late bonging funnels of that wonderful sports emotion. Here's to an Indians Summer Cleveland. Here's to the hope for October baseball again on the shores of Lake Erie. Drink up.

What If?

No comments:

Post a Comment